June 4, 2009

Longing For Eden Part #1


I believe that the reason a lot of people struggle in the Christian life is because they have a faulty view of what has been promised to us by Jesus. A lot of people think that following Jesus means a life that will be free from pain. We hear people preach and talk about "the victorious Christian life", but what does that mean? Does that mean we will be spared from struggles in life? What did Jesus promise? He promised that if we trust in Him as Savior we can have eternal life (John 3:16). He promised that He would give us His peace regardless of our circumstances (John 14:27). He also promised:

"...Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." John 16:33 NLT

Notice He did not say "you might" have trials and sorrows, but "you will."

Yesterday I was reminded once again of how fragile life is. A very healthy lady I know had a severe stoke and as I write this is on her death bed. I went to the hospital and prayed with her husband and family as they struggled to cope with the pain of losing someone so dear to them. Thankfully, she is a strong believer in Christ and has the promise of eternal life waiting for her when she dies. The struggle is for those left behind that will miss her.

Heaven is heaven because there is no pain, sorrow, sickness, death, or sin. It is the place where we will perfectly know and experience God's presence and joy. There will be nothing in the way of fully knowing Him. Ironically, how I described heaven is how life was for Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. Prior to the Fall (Genesis 3), there was no sickness & sorrow, because there was no sin. What we all long for is to go back to Eden. The difficulty is we cannot go back to Eden until we die and go to heaven. Where my friend who had the stroke is about to go, is the place we all are truly longing for.

I love the music of Mercy Me. They have a very powerful song about what I am trying to say. Here are the lyrics:

You're in a better place, I've heard a thousand times
And at least a thousand times I've rejoiced for you
But the reason why I'm broken, the reason why I cry
Is how long must I wait to be with you

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

Help me Lord cause I don't understand your ways
The reason why I wonder if I'll ever know
But, even if you showed me, the hurt would be the same
Cause I'm still here so far away from home

I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
I've never been more homesick than now

In Christ, there are no goodbye
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again

And I close my eyes and I see your face
If home's where my heart is then I'm out of place
Lord, won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow
Won't you give me strength to make it through somehow

If you want to hear the song follow this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvhrPMJe8LE