February 13, 2013

Life for life

I have been thinking a lot lately about what Jesus endured in my place in His death on the cross. As Scripture says; "the righteous died for the unrighteous" (1 Peter 3:18). "Christ died for the ungodly" (Romans 5::6). "Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8)

Jesus died so we can live. Jesus lives so we can live forever. Jesus embraced real sorrow and separation from His Father so we would could be comforted and would never be separated from Our Heavenly Father. Jesus passed all the tests that we have failed so we could be clothed in true righteousness.

In other words, Jesus lived for us, He suffered for us, He died for us, and He rose again so now we can be assured we will live for ever with Him! That is breath taking when you stop and take it in.
As I was reading this morning God touched my heart fresh and new with what Christ endured for me. Here is what we learn about what happened to Jesus prior to His crucifixion:

"Then the governor’s soldiers took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole company of soldiers around him. They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand. Then they knelt in front of him and mocked him. “Hail, king of the Jews!” they said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him." Matthew 27:27-31 NIV

Lets break this down...

Vs. 28 THEY STRIPPED HIM: (He was humiliated)

Vs. 29 THEY MOCKED HIM: (He was insulted)

Vs. 30a THEY SPIT ON HIM: (He was shamed and scorned)

Vs. 30b THEY STRUCK HIM: (He was abused and beaten)

Vs. 31 THEY LED HIM AWAY TO CRUCIFY HIM: (He was in my place, He substituted Himself for me. He was in my place. He carried the cross that I deserved)

How should this affect us?

Have you been humiliated? Insulted? Shamed and scorned? Abused and beaten? You need to know you have a completely innocent Savior who understands. He can empathize with our worst fears and nightmares. He knows betrayal. He knows better than anyone what it feels like to be falsely accused and He never once actually sinned:

"To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.”
When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls." 1 Peter 2:21-25 NIV


When I am humiliated I want to hide. When I am mocked I get hurt. If someone were to spit in my face I would fight back. If I am abused I want to get even and abuse back. Not so with Jesus. That is why the innocent had to take my place. I could never do it. Life for life.

He was humiliated so I could find real humility...


He was mocked so I could find my self-worth in Him...

He was spit upon and shamed so I could be delivered from my need to be somebody other than His beloved...

He was beaten so that by His stripes I could be healed...

He was crucified so I will live with Him forever...


His life for mine...my life for His...Exchanging life for life.