April 25, 2010

Concerning life: Choose quality over quantity

Ecclesiastes 8:7-8
Indeed, how can people avoid what they don't know is going to happen? None of us can hold back our spirit from departing. None of us has the power to prevent the day of our death. NLT



We really do not have much say over the quantity of our lives. Yes we can do somethings to take care of ourselves, like eat right, exercise, wear seat belts etc. but we ultimately do not have control over when we die. We cannot control accidents, cancer, heart problems, war, the weather, or the choices of others. However, we do have a say in the quality of life we live. By quality of life I do not mean possessions, money, or material goods, but a life of peace, joy, and happiness that money cannot buy. Money and possessions are outward things, peace, joy, and happiness are internal things therefore quality of life is not dependent on outward circumstances, but rather an inward attitude of faith. The thought of dying and the reality of dying makes me want to live better today. It makes me want to live more fully and to live fully alive.
I want to fully enjoy God's gifts.
I want to love more and complain less.
I want my life to be a walk of faith, hope, and truth.
I want to die having lived beyond regret.
I want my actions to show the people in my life that they are important to me.
I want my words to bring life and encouragement rather than pain and disappointment. 
I want to learn from my failures and mistakes.
I want to forgive and be forgiven.
I want to judge less and trust more.
I want God to use my life to bless others.
When all is said and done and I crossover into eternity I want to look into Christ's eyes and hear His words: "Well done."

God has given us life. We have been given a certain number of days. We do not choose how long we live but we do choose how we will live. We do not choose the quantity of our lives but we do choose quality of life.